2008-02-18

Strange problem with file copying in Windows Explorer

Since I sometimes need to use chinese in Windows, I set up my Windows XP under "Control Panel" -> "Regional and Language Options" -> "Advanced" -> "non-Unicode Program" Encoding -> "Simplified Chinese".

Now I get a big problem. I copied a zip file from a Linux box to my local computer. The copy process was ok and the zip file could be extracted too. Then I tried to copy that zip file to a directory on a machine with windows server 2003 enterprise version using Copy/Paste. The copy process seemed normal, but when I opened the file directly on the target machine and tried to extract it, WinRar told me "the zip file is corrupt!".

If I change the non-Unicode Program's Encoding to something like "German", then the problem will not happen. It seems that the windows explorer is a non-unicode program?!

My Windows is already updated to SP2. The IE version is still version 6.

Until now I haven't find any solution to this problem.

No comments: